2 January 2015

Four And A Half Men

Brace yourself as what you’re about to read might make you wonder about mankind (more than “womankind”).

This happened a fortnight ago. A Rajkumar Hirani and Vidhu Vinod Chopra fan as I am, I couldn’t contain my excitement about their upcoming release. No rocket science, I’m referring to the much debated movie – “PK”.

With a lot of expectations, I booked a ticket for a show sometime in the first week of its release. To tell you the truth, it was a last minute decision, one taken on the spur of the moment. Obviously, the theatre was jam packed by then with only a few seats vacant somewhere in the mid rows. I had gone for the movie with a male friend. The only two vacant seats in the topmost possible row were the ones in the corner. Without second thought I booked them right away and we rushed to the cinema hall.

Fortunately, we made it in time and secured our seats. Since they were the corner seats in the row, there were about five of them vacant beside ours. I hated the fact that we had the corner ones so chose to sit on the outer of the two. This decision of mine wasn’t a conscious one, and I say this proudly, as in my mind, I had come to a theatre of a metropolitan city where a girl need not worry about any jerk trying stunts in the seat beside her.

Now, it so happened, after a few minutes, a group of boys approached our row. All of them must have been in their twenties. As they approached the seats next to me, I wasn’t bothered a bit by the thought of a strange, oversized guy sitting beside me. A few minutes later, to my utter shock, a fellow from three seats away gets up and asks my male friend to switch places with me as the guy  next to me felt “awkward”.

I don’t know how this sounds as you read it, but at that instant I was filled with mixed feelings of disbelief and disgust. I’d like to stress two points here:

  1. I had gone for a U/A rated movie.
  2. It was a top notch, classy cinema hall.

Having said this, I truly wonder what could possibly make an adult man feel awkward in a public place like that of a cinema hall. But I guess I’m not really allowed to pass judgment, as the poor guy must have not been around “women” much or may not have been lucky to be educated in a co-ed school before.

To those of you wondering what happened next, yes, I obviously switched places. One, because I didn't want to be a cause of someone’s “awkwardness” and two, out of sheer disgust. My male friend did pass a sarcastic comment which made his friends chuckle a bit. I’m not a big fan of making a scene especially out of something as trivial as this, but I couldn’t resist writing up a post about the same.

Looking back, I guess I probably could have reacted a bit differently, but given a second chance, I’d rather not waste time with men like him who clearly need psychiatric intervention.

Something that makes me laugh every time I think about it. Yes! This episode was most certainly one that merited mention in my blog.

People need to grow up. I hereby rest my case.

P.S. In case the ‘four men’ are reading this, don’t forget to say hi to the ‘half guy’ who felt awkward!

Do you have a different opinion or perhaps a story to share? Please feel free to mention it in the comment section below.

Until then,

Keep chattering J

No comments:

Post a Comment